Monday 21 March 2011

Local Eats - Red Fish, Blue Fish

Simply Amazing. Greasy, Delicious Goodness. Go Treat yourself. This meal cost $8.50



While eating out in Victoria's downtown there are many amazing places to get amazing food for a good price. However the question is, can a student eat out at a local restaurant and maintain their budget. While, yes it is understood that eating local grown vegetables, and supporting local farmers is a crucial aspect of social justice in that it prevents neo-liberal capitalism from prevailing; to a certain extent. The problem, or I should say concern is that it is at times expensive to eat locally, and organically.

I went on a hunt to see how many restaurants serve actual local food. When setting out on my hunt I found that most servers were not informed as to whether the products they were serving were local, and some in fact claimed that they served local food when in fact they didn't. I found this to be a tad problematic, because claiming to be local is going to attract people to the product when it isn't local.

I figured that since we are surrounded by water, fish would be easy to access locally. I went to a restaurant called red fish, blue fish. It is located right on the water on wharf street. It is so popular that the line up sometimes takes an hour and a half. It is well worth the wait, let me tell you. Hidden away by the water in this small little hut is the best Tacone I have had in Victoria.

Red Fish Blue Fish, is apart of the Ocean Wise project. Which is a project that allows for all menu options to be recommended by the Vancouver Aquarium, and made to be ocean-friendly. They only serve west coast caught sea food at red fish blue fish. To learn more about Ocean Wise Click the following link here!

I ordered the Salmon Tacone, and it was absolutely amazing. When I asked the employee's who worked their if they served local food they said that everything was local except for the tortillas. One Tacone costs $5 dollars and there is a substantial amount in that serving. With a side of amazing coleslaw, and a million dollar view; I highly recommend checking out this place on one of Victoria's beautiful summer nights.

So, I found this little gem, and it is priced well for what is serves. I recommend the classic Fish and Chips, the Poutine, or any of the tacones. However, the Tuna Salad is absolutely fabulous as well. West Coasters will love this little joint. They have a great recycle program, and their utensils are wooden and recyclable. They have bins that are clearly  marked to promote recycling.
Recycle! Yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment